CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday 6 June 2012

Picture Choice Boards

I use picture choice boards in my classroom all the time!  I use them with students that have little to no verbal communication, with students that have a hard time expressive language, and with students that have english as a second language.  I use them so that all of my students can participate in group conversations or activities.  I also like to use them because they are a low tech option that are super quick and easy to create!


Making a Picture Choice Board:


  1. At the beginning of each new story or theme I make a list of new and repeated vocabularly that I will be using.
  2. Next, I think about the activities I am going to be doing during with the story or theme and make a list of words needed.
  3. I usually use Boardmaker (Mayer-Johnston) to create my choice boards, but you can use any images you like or draw or pictures you take.  Next put the pictures into cells or a table making sure that the pictures are large enough for your students to see.  I also like to pair each picture with the appropriate label (I never hurts to increase the amount of print the students see!).
  4. Use it with your students!!!
This is a picture choice board that I created for the story "Where the Wild Things Are" by Maurice Sendak.




4 comments:

  1. Hi - I found you through A Special Kind of Class, and am your newest follower :) I teach kids with severe and multiple impairments in a center-based special education school, and am always excited to see more sped teacher bloggers! Looking forward to reading more from you!

    Kara
    Spedventures

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving your blog Kelsey! This idea is great for my ELL kiddos. We use a lot of sentence stems but this is great for when I have kiddos with very limited language.

    I am happy to be your newest follower. I would be blessed if you hopped over to visit me! =)


    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete